Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cranberry-Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

DSC_0094

Recently, the gym I frequent installed several new pieces of equipment whose televisions broadcast an extended number of channels. I cannot tell you how many times I wished for the Food Network to be offered, convincing myself I would positively work-out more often if it were available.

So while trying one of the new machines, I was ecstatic to flip to the Food Network and find one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Giada, whipping up an array of food to eat after an afternoon of ice skating.

Suddenly there were images of oatmeal cookies, chock full of dried cranberries and chocolate chunks, flashing across my screen. And just like that, my motivation to lose those stubborn five pounds was wiped away as quickly as the towel dabbing beads of sweat from my forehead.

A mere twenty minutes later, I was back home in my snug kitchen, my mixer whirring as it creamed the butter and sugars for my very own batch. They are a hearty, slightly sweet cookie perfect for winter evenings.

Perhaps this is not what the gym had in mind when installing Food Network to their exercise equipment.

Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
makes 32 cookies

In my version of this recipe, I replaced the chocolate chunks with chocolate chips, as I had a large amount of chips on hand. This substitution also reduced the active preparation time required to chop chocolate, but does not affect the taste.

I also reduced the size of the cookie. You can create whatever size cookie you desire, just be sure to adjust your baking time accordingly.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Preparation Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Add oats, cranberries, and chocolate chips and mix on low speed until incorporated.

Using a 1 1/2 ounce cookie scoop [Note: I used the OXO Medium Cookie Scoop, #40], scoop slightly rounded mounds of the dough into 32 balls. Arrange 16 balls of dough, spaced evenly apart, on each baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, flatten the tops slightly and bake until the cookies are slightly golden on the edges, about 13 to 15 minutes.

Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely.

5 comments:

  1. I love dried cranberries in cookies, much better than raisins I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look absolutely perfect! Just the right thickness for me. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tiffany: I completely agree! Dried cranberries are one of my favorite snack and even better in cookies!

    @LimeCake: Thank you! These were a new favorite among the traditional Christmas cookies. I hope you enjoyed a very Merry Christmas as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these....absolutely amazing. I need to learn to stop at just one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out amazing!!! Great combo. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs