Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year

The ringing in of a New Year brings so much hope, promise and happiness.

I have found I am not really the type of person to make resolutions for the year ahead. Instead, I see each day as an opportunity to resolve to become a better version of myself. I would not want to wait an entire year to have to resolve to make such changes.

Instead, I see the New Year as an opportunity to appreciate how I grew in the previous year and focus my attention on the year ahead.

I continued to learn a lot about myself last year.

I learned I am not the type of person to sit idle when I am unhappy.

I learned my body can survive on not much sleep, but lots of caffeine.

I learned I am stronger and more persistent than I thought. I learned my heart and mind will move me forward when my legs quit. I learned that tears and pain are no match for the feeling of crossing the finish line.

I learned a lazy weekend morning, complete with a homemade breakfast, full pot of coffee and loved one by my side is not only rejuvenating, but also sometimes the only thing that gets me through a long week.

I learned I like me with less makeup. I learned I like me even if I am pale.

I learned that because I had finally learned to love myself, I could demand people love me for me.

And I learned I was incredibly fortunate to already be surrounded by this unconditional love.

Not bad for one year.

Looking ahead, there are some big changes on the horizon. And for the first time ever, I have absolutely no idea what the next twelve months hold for me.

I know precisely three things about the coming year:

First, in eight weeks, I will complete my pastry externship. With my degree in hand, I am hoping to be able to move full-time into the world of pastry following my externship.

A career change will bring much more satisfaction, but it will also bring terrible hours and lower pay. None of the negative aspects are unexpected, they were all considered in their own right as I made the decision to enroll in pastry school. But they still bring some worry to me as I look ahead.

Second, just a few weeks after I complete my externship, I will turn 24. I know 24 is not that old. I know I have many years, many lessons ahead of me. But I can’t help but feel a little strange about this upcoming birthday.

Why? I don’t really know. I can’t put it into words. Twenty-four sounds adult to me. It sounds like you should have your ducks-in-a-row.

Finally, I will endure four months of hard training in order to run the NYC Marathon in November.

And that’s it. I don’t know what else to expect.

Unsettling? Of course. Exciting? Most definitely.

Happy 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Adults don't say "ducks-in-a-row."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can't say "ducks-in-a-row", I don't want to be an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No they don't. However, adults tend to over use the "Dot your I's and cross your T's" to the point it makes me wnat to vomit. "Duck-in-a-row" may soud young and I personally enjoy it. The adult world is filled with way too many "Old Farts". Stay young, surround yourself with other young talented folks and enjoy life. You have the rest of your life to be an "old fart". Enjoy!!! Daddy

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs